Delay Work Item Entry from a Specific Queue

Delay Work Item Entry from a Specific Queue

Postby KatPengal » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a solution to the problem I am having with my model. I have a work centre which represents an equipment hire service. There are 10 pieces of equipment (the work centre is replicated 10 times) which can each be hired for 30 days. Every 30 days the person who has hired the equipment leaves the work centre and moves to another work centre called 'review' to decide whether they wish to continue hiring the equipment or whether they wish to move to another service. If they wish to continue using the equipment the model sends them back round to the equipment hire service. Travel times and 'review' are all set to take '0' time.

I want the model to reflect the fact that the person has hired the equipment and taken it home, it is 'theirs' until they wish to stop using it. I have tried setting the model to have priority labels in the queue for the equipment hire service, so that a 'current equipment user' takes priority over a new person wishing to hire the equipment. I have also tried setting up two separate queues into the 'Equipment hire service' work centre, with the routing in priority set to favour the 'returning' hirer. I have set the routing in queue for new customers to have a limited shelf life, so if the equipment does not become available quickly, then they leave to use another service.

HOWEVER...the problem I am struggling with, is preventing a new customer hiring out the equipment before the previous customer has decided at their 'review' whether or not they wish to keep it. Is there a way of delaying a work centre's uptake of work items from a specific queue for a set period of time after a 'space' has become available, therefore allowing work items passing through 'review' and then returning to cycle back round. For instance, the equipment must have been available for a day before it can be hired out...thus allowing time for the original customer to decide if they wish to continue using it?

I do not know if this makes any sense. But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Delay Work Item Entry from a Specific Queue

Postby jholtman » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Here is what I would do. I would setup one workcenter for the equipment hire that has a replication of 10. I would link this to a review workcenter that also has a replication of 10. I would make these two workcenters a group and limit the number of items in the group to 10. I would add another queue, that would also be part of this group, that I would route the workitem if the reviewer wants to renew the equipment, therefore they would be the first priority on the item since until a workitem leaves the group, and the count in the group is less than 10, only then will a new customer be able to get the equipment.
Jim Holtman
Data Munger Guru
jholtman (at) gmail (dot) com
What is the problem you are trying to solve?
Tell me what you want to do, not how you want to do it.

Re: Delay Work Item Entry from a Specific Queue

Postby KatPengal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:02 am

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I will give this a go.

Return to “SIMUL8 Cafe”